Tuesday 13 May 2014

A Sea of Collages at The Other Art Fair

Last month I have visited the PV of The Other Art Fair at Ambika P3 on Marylebone Rd, London. TOAF supports undiscovered artists to showcase ther work in London, has a very entertaining DJ and bar desks and is very well-run. Oh, and the Fair likes taxidermy (it's super trending, I know, but for me (a small scientist in political studies) it seems like the Overton window shift towards dehumanisation (you are welcome with your opinions in comments or in person). Anyway, for the last three years I was attending art fairs searching for collage art (I sensed it becoming trending too!) and The Other Art Fair kept me indoor for longest.
Dan Hillier showed his engravings collages made up in to prints which makes the final work look very tidy. Penny Stanway combines painting and collage in her cosmos-inspired works.
Penny Stanway
Claire Robinson engages collage technique in her illustrations and screenprints, very worth viewing. Dameon Priestly shows how great collage technique is for bringing up heavy topics; the stand also had some good examples of decollage technique. Andrea Allen uses paper in many ways in one piece; there's layering, forming and drawing with paper alone.
Collage by Andrea Allen

Soozy Lipsey had a very interesting (and popular) stand; her collages reminded me of one of my favourite collagists I follow on Instagram. And just on my way out already I have noticed these pinned black and pink waves and lines of Blandine Bardeau collages.
The Other Art Fair was a very inspiring event to attend.

No comments:

Post a Comment